In an enterprise environment consisting of several HP ProLiant servers it is important to set up for each of the servers the IPs of the associated ILO4 devices. This is an important step as this ILO devices are going to be used for the cluster fencing or access from the service network.
To set-up the IP of an ILO device follow the following steps:
– reboot the server
– when ILO initialization messages appear on the screen (just after the rich graphical mode of the boot sequence is completed) press F9.
– When instructed press F8 to enter ILO setup
– go to the address menu and set up the static IP allocated to this device.
– Define a name (admin) and a password to be able to access the ILO device service.
– Save the changes
Another method to configure ILO devices is by using ipmi from the server.
– Load the ipmi module
# modprobe ipmi_devintf
– print the device info
# ipmitool mc info
– To set a user name run
# ipmitool user set name
– To set or reset a password run
ipmitool user set password
– To enable the user run
ipmitool user enable
– To set privilege level run
ipmitool user priv
<1 = callback, 2 = user, 3 = operator, 4 = administrator>
– The following commands are used to set the ILO device network
ipmitool lan set 2 ipsrc static
ipmitool lan set 2 ipaddr 172.20.101.6
ipmitool lan set 2 netmask 255.255.255.240
ipmitool lan set 2 defgw ipaddr 0.0.0.0
# ipmitool mc reset cold
– Finally print the configuration of the ILO device
# ipmitool lan print 2