Finally a new release of the HPE MicroServer updated at the new generation Gen10.
It seems that the Gen8 release of the MicroServer was so successful (I am the proud owner of 3 HP MicroServer Gen8) that HPE never released a Gen9 model.
What are the main updates after a quick look:
1. Same great form factor, in fact you can stack it with the older Gen8 MicroServer.
2. HPE switched to AMD Opteron™ X3000 Series. Interesting to see how they will perform. Not a specific model is announced but it seems that the low power 2 or 4 cores models will be used (25W and 45W models) at 3.4GHz
3. Memory was upgraded from maximum of 16GB DDR3 Unbuffered ECC to a maximum of 32GB DDR4 Unbuffered ECC. This is nice that we can get 32GB, this was one of my pains. All my existing MicroServers have 16GB and at some point due to heavy use of Docker containers this was a limitation. Still just 2 memory slots.
4. Same great 4 drive cage and from looking at the pictures the same great setup of drives I use can be achieved. (2 RAID1 SSDs for OS on top of the cage and 4 RAID10 big SATA drives in the cage for storage)
5. Just 2 Ethernet ports. More disturbing is the fact that it seems we no longer have ILO :(, or not with a Ethernet dedicated port. Not having ILO management will be a downer for me.
6. One great news is we have two PCI expansion slots instead of just one. Usually I always add a more powerful HBA in the MicroServer so I was always left without any available PCI expansion.
7. Looks like we will get next to the VGA port also 2 HDMI ports so updated graphics capability.